Sunday, June 28, 2009

AVC- Oy, not another acronym

So, I have been able to get back to the computer within as couple weeks of my last update, which is good for me, because to don’t have to write as much and good for you, because you don’t have to read as much plus you don’t have to worry if I’ve died from starvation since I can’t cook.
This past week, I have been at the All Volunteers Conference, outside of Kampala. This is a big deal, since only a few countries have the funds to put one on. The conference is exactly what it sounds like: all of the volunteers in Uganda are pulled together in one place to give sessions to one another. All together, there were ~130 volunteers. In our case, we stayed at the same hotel where the sessions were held. All of the sessions were led by volunteers and addressed a variety of issues, topics, interests and ideas that were, somehow, relevant to our service and what we were doing at site. Some were geared toward education, others to economic development or maybe to health volunteers. We arrived at the hotel on Wednesday, had three days of the actual conference, and left today, Sunday to get back to site (I’m actually in Jinja right now, on my way back).
The conference was organized so that there were three sessions offered during each time slot and the volunteers could choose which ones they wanted to attend. The majority of the sessions were useful to me. I attended some on football tournaments, since I want to start a girl’s football team at my school, health clubs, gardening and youth empowerment. I think it was better that the sessions were led by fellow PCVs because they understand the difficulties that are involved in everything you do in country. They can address the challenges and solutions, of their own experiences, in creating sustainable changes in the community, integrating themselves with its members and just surviving with the day-to-day trials and tribulations that may arise as a result. I can relate to someone better when I know they’ve experienced the same frustrations I have, survived it and even come out with something they can show to the world. In addition to the sessions, it was also really cool to meat all of the other volunteers. Since being in country, the majority of volunteers I know are from my group, but there are so many other awesome people that I was missing out on and that were missing out on me because, I think we can all agree, I’m a pretty stellar individual. No, really, I am! Stop laughing at the screen!!
So, all in all, it was a pretty good week and that is all I have to report on. But, I have a good, good, good announcement! I have received mail!!!!!! I got a letter from Eric (holler bollar!) and the package from Aunt Diane. I’m gonna say she gets my favorite person of the week award, because it contained a pickle that was completely edible. Yes, I ate the pickle; yes, I drank all of the juice; and, yes, I had stomach problems for an entire day because of it. But, it was totally worth it, as always. Thank you Aunt Diana ( : So, my hope, definitely not faith but hope, has been restored to the Ugandan Postal System and I’m hoping it will get it’s act together and get me the rest of my frickin’ mail. That’s all I have for now. Miss you all and think of you often. TTFN!
~Rachael

1 comment:

  1. Have you read the book "All God's Children Need Travelling Shoes" by Maya Angelou? She moved from the US as part of the black diaspora in the 1960s to Ghana. It's really hard to summarize, but mostly it's about being African American when color isn't part of the equation. It's incredibly interesting and I think you'd enjoy it. :)

    I hope you're staying safe while having the time of your life!

    ReplyDelete