Monday, March 1, 2010

Unexpected Goodbyes

Hey all, I have an unfortunate announcement: Peacecorps has decided to medically separate me and send me back to the states. I have not full recovered from whatever is plaguing my kidneys. I've been to the doctor numerous times and had several tests but they have not been able to properly diagnose me. Therefore, PC has decided to send me back the states so I can get better treatment. This means that as of Wednesday, when I'll be on a plane heading back, I will no longer be a PC volunteer. Also unfortunate is the fact that, since I'm being sent back for medical reasons, this means my service is over. If I want to return to Uganda as a PCV after I've regained my health, I need to do the entire process over again. So, I've been in Uganda for 13 months and been a volunteer for 10. It's not the way I wanted to end my service, but there's nothing I can do. The decision has been made. I'm a little disappointed at the moment, so I'll post again when I'm in a better mood. I do want to tell you all how I've felt about my service. So, thanks for following and I'll be in the same country with you soon. TTFN-
~Rachael

4 comments:

  1. I am so so sorry my love, after having been sick here for so long I know what it means and how much it sucks and how little choice you have in the matter. I am sorry, we are going to miss you so much, more than you know. Please stay in touch, wish I was there to say bye officially, just happy I saw you this weekend. Lots of love and luck and hugs being sent to you from me:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachael, I am SO sorry to hear your time in peace corps is over. I hope that you have safe travels back and that hopefully health care in the states will cure whatever is ailing your kidneys. Call me when you're back.

    Love,
    Jacq

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Rachael, I'm sorry! (Does this mean you're in the states now? Do you still have the same pre-Uganda phone number?) I know it's disappointing for you, but you did a lot of good work in the time that you had, and I'm very very proud of you. I'm also very glad that you'll be getting the medical attention that you need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rach, I know you're feeling bummed about being sent back, and it sucks having to cut it short when you were ready to stick it out to the end. But don't forget you've done a lot LOT of good while you were there. One year in Uganda is amazing in an of itself--you will always have this incredible experience to remember later on. You got to do what a lot of others only dream about! And those girls will never forget you either--I'm 100% sure that all the time you've taken to care for them and teach them science and show them the wonders of soccer will not be lost on them! So I just want to echo what Erin said--we're very proud of you! And I'm very much looking forward to being able to see and talk to you again when you get home

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete